We are proud and excited to announce that conversion of handwriting to typed text is now
available on your reMarkable paper tablet. This is our first step into this magic functionality,
one that we will continue to improve in the coming releases.
There are three important things you need to know:
- We only convert handwritten notes in Notebooks at the moment, not in PDFs or Ebooks.
- You need to be connected to a WiFi network and logged in to a reMarkable account. The conversion takes place in the cloud (only takes a few seconds) so you need to be connected to do so. If you don’t already have one, you can create a reMarkable account here.
- In this first version you can edit and share your converted notes via email (see below) but they will not be stored on the device. More functionality will be coming in the future so you can do more with your typed notes.
How to convert your notes to typed text:
When you tap the Convert to text button your handwritten notes are sent to the cloud, where a well trained AI interprets and converts each letter, word and sentence into standardised typed text.
You will then be shown the converted notes so you can edit and share then via email (see below).
It’s also worth noting that writing at an angle or non-horizontally won’t work, nor do symbols (such as mathematical symbols and diagrams) but several forms of bullet points are recognised…and some smiley faces too.
Convert in your language
For the best results you can specify which language your notes are written in through the Settings page. We currently support 33 languages. To specify your language, go to the Settings page where you will find the language selection option in the Handwriting Conversion Settings page.
Convert multiple pages at once
If you you want to convert more than one page at a time, you can do this by tapping the Select pages button on the top right corner of the Action bar when your first page of conversion is done. You can also select multiple pages in the Page overview and tap the Convert to text button to make a conversion.
How to Edit your notes before sharing them:
Once your handwritten notes are converted to typed text they are now in a form where you can easily edit and share them with others. If you edit this text, your handwritten notes are not affected. To edit the text - simply tap the word or letter you want to edit and then use the keyboard to make the changes you want before sharing.
Edit your notes as they convert
It can take more time to convert multiple pages (obviously), so we have made the text editable as soon as it is converted, and while the other pages are still being converted. If you are converting many pages, you can scroll up and down with your marker or finger, or use the left and right physical buttons.
How to share your converted notes:
Once you’re satisfied with your newly converted notes you can share them by email to others or just to yourself! In the top menu bar, you will see the Share button which you may have used previously in your reMarkable. This will take you to the email sharing feature where you can input the recipient.
At this time the converted text document will be sent as the body text in the email itself (rather than as an attachment) so it’s easy to take the text from the email and paste it if needed elsewhere. We will look at expanding the email capabilities in the future.
Improved PDF export
The way your reMarkable handles PDFs has been revamped in this latest update, improving export in the following ways:
- Imported PDFs and Ebooks now retain the original quality after export.
- Document background templates are now using true scalable vector graphics for improved visual clarity.
- The quality and accuracy of exported drawings, annotations and handwritten text has been significantly increased.
- In most cases the size of exported documents have been significantly reduced.
Export to SVG format (beta)
Export any document as an SVG file for high quality, scalable images that are easier to showcase and edit on other devices.
New Layers menu
A new three-dot menu next to each layer in the Layers tool on the sidebar allows you to quickly rename, edit and reorder your layers. Helping you add more organisation, dimension and creativity to your work.
Ebook text reset button
Easily switch back to the original text settings of your ebook, using the new reset button, after you have adjusted them for your reading preferences.
We’ve also brought you a ton of under-the-hood improvements for a faster and smoother experience.