Note: This article applies to devices running software 2.0 or newer. For information on how to update your reMarkable, head here.
Things to know when using handwriting conversion
- The handwriting conversion feature only converts handwritten notes in notebooks, not in PDFs or ebooks.
- You need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and logged in to a reMarkable account (my.remarkable.com) in order to use the handwriting conversion feature.
- You can edit and share your converted notes via email (see below) but they will not be stored on the device.
- Writing at an angle or non-horizontally won’t work, nor do symbols (such as mathematical symbols and diagrams), but several forms of bullet points are recognized…and some smiley faces too.
How to convert handwritten notes into text
Convert in your selected language
For the best results when converting text you can specify which language your notes are written in. We currently support 33 languages.
- Go to the Settings page.
- Select Handwriting Conversion.
- Tap on the language currently selected.
- Select your new language.
The handwriting conversion feature currently supports the following languages:
Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan , Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (Canada), English (United Kindom), English (United States), Estonia, Finnish, French (Canada), French (France), Galician, German (Austria),German (Germany), Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenia, Spanish and Swedish.
Step by step
- Open a notebook.
- To convert your handwriting into text, tap the share icon, then Convert to text and send.
- The converted text can be edited using the on-screen keyboard. This won’t affect your handwritten notes.
- To send the current page, simply tap Send. To convert more pages, tap Select pages, tap the pages you’d like to add, then tap Convert.
- Once all pages are converted, you can tap Send in the top action bar. This will take you to the email sharing feature where you can input the recipient(s), and manage any other sending details.
The converted document will be sent as the body text in the email.
How to convert multiple pages at once
- Tap the notebook options icon, and then Page overview.
- Long-press to select the first page, then tap to add any additional pages.
- Tap Convert to text, then Send.