In this article you’ll find information about how to convert handwritten notes into text using your reMarkable.
Make your notes easy to reuse in emails, reports, or presentations by converting them into text. You can then edit and share the converted text by email directly from your reMarkable.
You can also convert multiple pages into typed text, use either portrait and landscape mode to write, and do quick edits to the converted text afterwards with the on-screen keyboard.
Useful things to know before getting started
You can convert handwritten notes from your notebooks, and in note pages you’ve added to your PDFs or ebooks.
Wi-Fi connection and cloud account are required
You need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and logged into a reMarkable account (my.remarkable.com) with an active Connect Plan in order to use handwriting conversion.
Exporting converted notes
You can edit and share your converted notes via email (see below), but they won’t be stored on your device. This is to save space in your cloud storage.
Supported text and symbols
If you write at an unnatural angle (i.e not horizontal to the page), handwriting conversion won’t work as it should. Symbols (like mathematical symbols and diagrams) won’t be converted into text, but bullet points will be recognized – and some smiley faces too.
Notes written in cursive and block letters are also supported.
How to convert handwritten notes into text
Convert in your selected language
For the best results when converting to text, please specify which language your notes are written in. We currently support 33 languages.
Here’s how to select your language:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Language.
- Choose a new language under Handwriting conversion language.
The handwriting conversion feature currently supports the following languages:
Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan , Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (Canada), English (United Kingdom), English (United States), Estonia, Finnish, French (Canada), French (France), Galician, German (Austria),German (Germany), Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenia, Spanish and Swedish.
Note: Handwriting conversion doesn’t currently learn or adjust to your writing style over time.
Step-by-step guide to converting notes into text
1. Open your document.
2. To convert your handwriting into text, tap the Share icon, then Convert to text and send.
3. You can edit the converted text with the on-screen keyboard. This won’t affect your handwritten notes. Tap the text to bring up the keyboard.
4. To send the current page, tap Send.
5. To convert more pages, tap Select pages and tap on the extra pages that you’d like to add.
6. Tap Convert.
7. Once all the pages are converted, tap Send in the black action bar at the top.
8. To add a subject line, tap Set subject.
9. Enter the email address you want to use and tap Send.
The converted document will be sent as the body text in the email.
How to convert multiple pages at once
- Tap the sidebar menu, then tap Page overview.
- Long-press to select the first page, then tap to add any additional pages.
- Tap Convert to text.
- Tap Send.