When you try to log in to the desktop app, you may receive an error message that states: "SOCKS version 5 protocol error."
The SOCKS error message indicates that the problem is caused by proxy settings.
Follow the following steps:
- Click the Apple icon, then 'System Preferences', followed by 'Network'
- Select 'Ethernet' or 'WiFi' depending on what you use
- Click 'Advanced', followed by 'Proxies' in the top bar
- Here you should see that either 'Auto Proxy Discovered' or 'SOCKS Proxy' is selected. Make sure they are both disabled
- Try a new one-time code again